Last year I had my students create digital stories using GoAnimate, a site for making animated movies. I have recently been reflecting on whether or not to do the project with this year’s students. Here are some of my thoughts:
What I liked about using GoAnimate:
- Students worked collaboratively.
- They became much more adept at using digital tools in general and solving problems that came up.
- There was a lot of enthusiasm for the project.
- Students realized how much work goes into a short video.
- They learned the importance of starting with a strong story that included several elements, such as a central theme and specific details.
- It can take a lot of time do have students create high-quality products.
- Not every student was enthusiastic. Some became frustrated and did not enjoy the experience.
- The narratives students told were okay, but not great. Some groups got caught up in the fun of using GoAnimate tools and did not put enough emphasis on the story elements.